Whoo hoo! Finally Spring is here!!! At least it was… We had a week of gorgeous weather. All the snow had pretty much melted away, leaving lots of puddles. The sun was shining, the birds were singing. Oh how beautiful it was. Now we are covered in snow again. Good ol’ Alberta. Never fails. LOL! As I daydream about the warm sun, everyone outside, having fun and enjoying the weather. I have also been thinking of ways we can incorporate some environmentally friendly as well as budget friendly changes around our home. Need help thinking of ways to turn your house into a Smart Home? I’ve got some tips that will save you money and inspire smart home ideas for you and your family.
7 Ways to Turn Your Home Into a Smart Home
- Change your light bulbs – Switch from traditional bulbs to CFLs or LEDs. You’ll save money in the long run, and lighten your impact on the environment.
- Hang laundry to dry – Not only does hanging your laundry to dry cut the costs of energy consumption, but it makes your laundry smell divine!
- Use reusable shopping bags – Some cities have banned the use of plastic shopping bags, and you get charged extra at the cash register. Why not just take your own? Keep them by the front door or in your vehicle, so that you will remember to use them.
- Unplug electronics when not in use – Unplug energy sucking devices when they are not in use. Common energy wasters include your computer, printer, DVD player, phone charger and any electronics attached to a power strip. Unplug these electronics at night or when you are away from home.
- Reduce paper waste – Reduce waste in your home by paying your bills online. Some companies charge you a fee of a $2 per month to send you your bill in the mail. Save that couple of dollars each month and switch to paperless billing. Your monthly bills will be sent to your email.
- Using dishwashers and washer/dryers at night – This will keep the house cooler, reduce strain on the power grid during the peak usage hours of 4 pm and 6 pm and reduce the chance of an emergency!
- Install a Smart Thermostat – Smart thermostats offer you climate control, the convenience of programming away from home, and are a great way to both save you money and time.
Comfort and Control Plan
Direct Energy is committed to helping their customers build a smarter home, and thus cut down on their energy usage – saving you time and money. For customers living in Alberta, Canada Direct Energy offers the Comfort & Control Plan. This 5-year dual fuel plan includes a fixed rate for your Alberta electricity (which won’t change for 5 years!) and flex-through Alberta natural gas with the security of a winter cap plus a Nest Learning Thermostat at no additional cost. Learn more and the Direct Energy Comfort & Control Plan.
Follow Direct Energy Canada on Facebook, for more ideas and valuable tips on having an smart home and the option for money-saving energy plans.
In the USA? Direct Energy offers the Meridian Savings Plan
With this plan you get a competitively priced fixed energy charge, up to three FREE Honeywell Smart Thermostats, plus a smart phone app that allows you to control your thermostat anytime, anywhere.
Visit Direct Energy Canada on Facebook to learn more about the Meridian Savings Plan.
How are you making your home more energy efficient? Have you taken any steps to make a your home a smart home?
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me, on behalf of Direct Energy. Regardless all opinions expressed are my own.